PNCA's 511 Broadway Awarded LEED Platinum Certification

Jan 07, 2016

Gerding Edlen, HSW and Allied Works Partner to Renovate Campus Anchor

Photo: Courtesy of PNCA

The Arlene and Harold Schnitzer Center for Art and Design has been awarded a LEED Platinum certification by the United States Green Building Council (USGBC), receiving a total of 81 points. This building is the campus anchor for PNCA and features new classrooms, a library, theater, studio space, administrative offices and student commons. As a historic renovation, the goal of the project was to preserve the architectural character of the 1919 Portland Main Post Office, add efficiency updates and reimagine the space as a place of learning.

The façade of the original Post Office was restored, and over 95% of the interior surfaces including the gold coffered ceilings, were able to be preserved. With such a high amount of material reuse, the project was able to dramatically reduce the overall carbon footprint and minimize construction waste. Furthermore, the new materials that were introduced were carefully chosen for their environmental attributes.  

To increase energy efficiency, LED lighting with daylight controls and occupancy sensors are used throughout the building. The HVAC system was updated with heat recovery technology and variable refrigerant flow heat pumps. Skylights previously covered have been reopened to introduce natural light within the building, and operable windows on the upper floors provide both fresh air and additional light to students and faculty.

In recognition of this extraordinary historic renovation, The Arlene and Harold Schnitzer Center for Art and Design was awarded Restore Oregon’s 2015 DeMuro Award.

http://restoreoregon.org/demuro-award/

http://www.pnca.edu/about/c/sustainability

Category:
  • News